Sunday, January 03, 2010

Book reviews

The latest in my sporadic series of book reviews...

My Amazon reviews are here (if you're interested).

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Wait for the movie. A friend loaned me this book and told me that it was a page-turner. It was indeed a page-turner, but after 500+ pages, I wanted a better ending. The author tied up all the loose ends so, technically, it was a good ending. But I was disappointed by what they found. I was completely surprised by one major twist (good), but I figured out another twist long before it was revealed (bad). It was not a bad book, but it was not the best I have read. A different friend loaned me The DaVinci Code, so I have not ever spent money for a Dan Brown book. I believe that enough other people have spent plenty of money, so I don't feel too bad for the author.

A much more entertaining book was You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas by Augusten Burroughs. Full disclosure: I'm a big fan. But even so, this was his best book in a while. His early books were funnier than his more recent works. I like funny. I need funny. This book is funny. And short. And very well written. And I have a signed copy. Check it out.

No comments: