Thursday, August 20, 2009

Vindicated

When I bought my house 10 years ago, I had a few requirements. An electric stove was one of them.

I found a house with an electric stove and a gas oven. I replaced the gas oven with an electric one in the first month I lived here.

Everyone said I was crazy. But I know what works when I cook.

Julia Child, my new hero, says in her seminal Mastering the Art of French Cooking, "Electric ovens give more even heat for pastry baking than gas." YES! I knew that the gas oven was burning things on the outside and not cooking on the inside.

Julia also says, "For top-of-stove cooking you wan to switch from very high indeed to very low heat with gradations in between, which a restaurant gas range can provide...Otherwise, a good modern electric cooktop is far better than weak domestic gas burners." (emphasis mine)

The master has spoken. I made the right choice with electricity.

I'll be wearing out that electric cooktop with my new stainless steel cookware.

No comments: