Tuesday, December 22, 2009

When did subtitles get longer than the books?

Or is this what it takes to sell a book in the 21st century?

Because I'm a nerd, I keep a journal of all of the books I read (or listen to). I had gotten behind in writing my reviews, so I sat down tonight to catch up. The last three books I read/heard all had subtitles, and it took longer to write the title/subtitle in my journal than it did to write the review!

What happened to simple, powerful titles like The Grapes of Wrath and Cat's Cradle?

The most clever subtitle author is Jen Lancaster, with these gems:
(I never noticed until now that all of her books have the word "ass" on the front cover.)

The books I entered in the journal tonight:
Up next - a book with no subtitle! The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

What have I learned by writing this post? If I want to get a book deal, I need a good subtitle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.