Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fatal flaw

Change from beginning of program: -.6
Goal: 44 to go
Activity: restringing bracelets
Temptation: DQ Blizzard
Fruit and veg: 5
Bracelets restrung: 11

My bead obsession hit a snag. I have been making bracelets with stretchy string so that you can slip them on over your hand and not have to worry about a clasp. The directions I read on the internets said to tie knots and then put a drop of glue on the knot. I put the strongest glue I know of on the knot - super glue.

I wore some bracelets. I gave some bracelets away. The bracelets I wore started breaking - at the point where I put the super glue.

I described the problem to a friend at work, and she asked if the super glue was eating through the stretchy string. I did some research on the internets and found that super glue was the problem. It was not eating through the stretchy string, but it was drying like glass. When I stretched the bracelets over my hand, one point on the bracelet would not stretch.

Of course, I had made 58 bracelets before I discovered this problem. I had not yet glued 8 of them, so I need to restring only 50. Of those 50, I had already given away 21.

I had 2 hours of conference calls today. I got 9 bracelets restrung during that time. I got some more done tonight. I have recalled the bracelets that I gave away.

Now I'm giving more bracelets away to testers. I need to determine if just knots (no glue) will suffice or if flexible drying glue is necessary.

Let me know if you want to be a tester.

Oh yeah, and I polished off a bottle of prosecco tonight. After I left the office in the afternoon and drove to Dairy Queen to get a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard. I had been craving that Blizzard since Monday, and it really hit the spot.

No comments: