Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chocolate chip cookies

I have been making chocolate chip cookies since I was 6 years old. I literally learned to read by reading a cookbook from Imperial Sugar (in Sugar Land, Texas - where my doctor's office is). I had to stand on a chair to reach the counter to make the cookies.

Sometimes the cookies are perfect; other times, they are flat. I have experimented with different ingredients and techniques with varying success.

I read in a magazine last week that using Crisco was the secret to cookies that don't flatten. I haven't used Crisco in years, and I don't plan to start. I had enough of that when I was growing up. The magazine article said that if you use butter and/or margarine instead of Crisco to beat them longer and get more air into the batter.

I then read from Bakewise that the secret to the perfect chocolate chip cookie is to let the dough sit overnight. Better yet, the book says, let it sit for 36 hours - 3 days - before baking.

Come on - how much dough will be left after 3 days. Are you kidding me?

For the batch I made yesterday, I whipped the butter and margarine longer than usual and let the dough sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before baking. The cookies are perfect. So forget 3 days of dough in the refrigerator.

No comments: