Tuesday, March 17, 2009


Green beer

What's the appeal of green beer? Isn't regular beer good enough? It is the elixir sent to us from the heavens. It's what Homer Simpson calls "sweet, sweet beer."

In honor of green beer day, here is a great scene from the Simpsons:

Homer: Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau?
Apu: Such a beer does not exist, sir. I think you must have dreamed it.
Homer: Oh. Well, then just give me a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles.

For years, I have enjoyed Skittlebrau at basketball games. A few months ago, I was walking through Costco on a Friday night (because I have such an exciting life), and I heard someone say "Skittlebrau." I nearly choked. I stopped the young guy and asked if he had really said "Skittlebrau" as in Homer's favorite drink. The guy and his girlfriend looked at me like I was the crazy old drunk cat lady, but confirmed that he had indeed said "Skittlebrau."

Ah, Skittlebrau. If only I had some Skittles in the house. I'll have to manage with simple brau tonight.

No comments: