Friday, July 31, 2009

Book Review: Notes from the Underwire

Title: Notes from the Underwire. Adventures from My Awkward and Lovely Life
Author: Quinn Cummings
Rating: 4 (out of 4) stars
Reason for reading: Title and cover caught my eye at a sale at a local independent bookstore. Recommendation by Jen Lancaster on the front cover sealed the deal.

Apparently, I picked this book up about the time it was published. And I'm glad I did.

It's a series of essays by a woman who is more or less my age. We have had very different lives, but her life is endlessly amusing to me.

I started laughing in the first essay, where she describes her daughter's artwork as "Meditations on Pink Tissue, Elmer's Glue, and Glitter, #186" and I didn't stop until the book ended. She refers to her Baby Daddy as "Consort," and she tells us in the introduction that her daughter is not really named "Alice" even though she is referred to as Alice through all 254 pages.

The author is a former child actor, although she hates that label. She doesn't write much about the acting days, which is fine because what she does write is hilarious. Her adventures with a child, a consort, and assorted pets is mighty amusing.

Check out her blog here.

No comments: