Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Old friends are the best

By "old," I mean friends that I have had for a long time. Not friends that are old. But I'm old now, so maybe that means that the friends I have had for a long time are somewhat old.

Speaking of old, it is really official now that I am OLD. I got bifocals yesterday. I feel like I am walking around inside a fish bowl. The doctor told me that it could take a month (a MONTH) to adjust to them. Whatever. I can't walk in a fish bowl for a month. I often walk into walls, tables, etc. because my depth perception is off, but these glasses amplify my already spastic tendencies. I will end up in the emergency room before I adjust.

Back to my original thought...

On Saturday, I flew to Dallas to spend a day with my friend J, my oldest (i.e., longest-running) friend. I met J when I was a junior in college and she was taking a tour of our campus. She came to school the next year, and the rest is history. Her mother is convinced that I led her down the road to ruin. She taught me the value of Coach purses. She has lived near me and far away. She gave me the honor of being the maid of honor at her wedding - and she has three sisters! Her husband is unbelievably cool, and they will celebrate their 20th anniversary next month. And she loves art.

We spent the day chatting and visiting the Impressionists exhibit at the Kimbell Museum in Fort Worth. We ate Mexican food, and she gave me some ultra-hip earrings. It was a great day, even though it was 105F. Seriously. We were in Texas, after all. We laughed, we ate, we drank beer. It was a great day. She even took me to meet my brother, sister-in-law, and sister-in-law's sister. We all drank - and laughed. It was a wonderful day.

On Sunday, I basically slept all day. It was beautiful.

If it gets any better than this, I don't need to know about it. It's a wonderful life!

No comments: