Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I want to be Catwoman

When I was growing up in the 1960s, Batman was one of my favorite TV shows. (The Monkees and That Girl were other favorites, but let's save those for another day.) I identified most with Catwoman - Julie Newmar. While most aficionados say that Eartha Kitt was the best, Julie was the Catwoman for me. Let us not speak of Halle Berry and the abomination she made.

I am part cat. If it weren't for fleas, hairballs, and eating mice, I would want to be a cat. But litter boxes - and the impossibility of changing species - keep me being a woman. But I still like to cat around.

The reason Catwoman is on my mind is that I say The Dark Knight this weekend. I like Batman movies in general, but it has been a long time since I liked one this much. I skipped the Val Kilmer one (puh-lease), and Batman and Robin was scary (even with George Clooney and Uma Thurman). I saw Batman Begins mainly because Michael Caine was in it, and any movie with Michael Caine can't be that bad. But The Dark Knight was the best movie since Batman Returns, the movie that, not coincidentally, had Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman.

Michelle was an outstanding Catwoman, channeling Julie Newmar all the way, and being even more catty. I want to be Catwoman.

If I wanted to be a Joker, however, I would channel Heath Ledger. What an amazing performance! I read the reviews and assumed that they were fawning because Heath is dead. But he really is as good as they say he was. I don't need to tell you that, because every person in America saw the movie last weekend.

Meow.

No comments: