Sunday, June 01, 2008

Why do I live here?

I hate the heat. I mean, I really HATE the heat. So why in the hell do I live in Texas? We have real heat that loves to gather in cars. Open the door of a car that has been in a parking lot in Houston for 1 hour any time between May 1 and November 1 to feel the heat. When you open the door, you feel like you just opened the oven to check on a tray of cookies. Having a black leather interior in the car doesn't help, as the leather never cools down.

It has been hot for a month already, and it won't cool off until the end of October - that means that we have 5 months (about 150 days) of being unable to stay dry while walking from the back door to the garage. Those 20 or so steps allow enough time to break into a sweat - not from exertion, but from heat. It is miserable in the morning. It is more miserable at lunch. The only time I can bear to be outside at all is after 6:00 p.m., when I have to be out there watering the yard.

The new landscaping and small vegetable gardening require almost daily watering. My summer hobby has returned - moving sprinklers. Mosquitoes and heat are not my cup of tea. But there's nothing quite like a home-grown tomato, so I will endure.

But back to the original question - why do I live here? Seattle sounds better every day. I like rain. I like cool (but not cold) temperatures. London would be perfect, but I doubt that I could afford to live there. Houston is affordable, and the winters are really nice. It's just the six months of summer that kill me. Thank goodness for air conditioning.

No comments: